Atherosclerotic plaque or the hardening of arteries is the common cause of heart attack. Too much cholesterol in the diet and smoking lead to the plaque build up. Know some tips that can save your life when you’re having a heart attack.
- If you feel chest pain that radiates from your jaw towards your arm, vomiting, shortness of breath, indigestion, sweating, and weakness, dial 911, or other local emergency numbers. Paramedics, EMTs, or first responders will treat you while you’re on your way to the hospital and alert the hospital of your condition.
- While waiting for help to arrive, take one aspirin tablet. This will keep your platelets from sticking together, minimize formation of blood clots, and prevent further artery blockage. Just rest and make yourself as comfortable as you can since overworking yourself may result in further complications.
After your Heart Attack Episode
Once your doctor discharged you from the hospital after your heart attack, they’ll give you instructions on your diet, exercise program, and medication regimen. Depending on your specific circumstances, you may be given medications such as:
- Aspirin to prevent your platelets from sticking together
- Beta blocker to dull adrenaline’s effects on your heart and help it beat properly
- Statin for controlling cholesterol
- Anti-platelet drugs such as Effient (prasugrel) or Plavix (clopidogrel)
To buy Plavix, Canada health experts sayyou can shop from online stores. Your doctor will also advise you to minimize your cardiac risk factors by losing weight, quitting smoking, reducing bad cholesterol, and managing your blood pressure levels.
Your doctor will perform further examinations to evaluate your heart’s pumping abilities using an echocardiogram. Your doctor may recommend a heart bypass surgery if your symptoms persist or if multiple blockages show up during testing,.
Make the necessary lifestyle changes while you still can. Be mindful of your diet and exercise regularly. And lastly, don’t forget the tips on surviving a heart attack.